Try to answer the following questions. If you get stuck, the answers can be found within the site, or by clicking the "show answer" link under each question.
Have fun and good luck!
- In what year was the Royal St. John's Regatta Hall of Fame started?
- It is not just the races that make Regatta Day such an event. The shores of Quidi Vidi Lake are full of concession stands and people enjoying the carnival like atmosphere. Because of this, the Regatta is also referred to as what?
- In what year did women first row on the pond, and how were they described?
- During the 1800's, there were two on-shore attractions that proved to be very popular, but were eventually discontinued because of the great mess they caused. What were they?
- The men of the Regatta strive to beat the 9 minute barrier. What barrier do the women of the Regatta set as their goal to beat?
- In the late 1800's a magnificent building known as the "Oriental Palace" was opened. Who constructed it and what was its final fate?
- Besides the races, concessions, food, and drink, what other things have always been part of the Regatta?
- What is a "crubeen"?
- In the mid-1800's, the Regatta almost came to a permanent end. What did the men of the time do that made a bad name for them and the Regatta?
- In what year did the practice of alternating between men's and women's crews for the "good pond" early in the morning first take place?